Streetreach

Tuesday 18 November 2008

DAVE


I told the students one of best ways to chat to pople everyday is to ask everyone they meet "how's your day going?" It's a simple way to listen to people and show an interest with no agenda. Went to a car auction this week - lots of noise in the background and it's cold so I get a cup of tea.

"How's your day going?", I ask to the lady serving.

"Great she replied, really good, how are you ?"

"Great", I replied.

"You know they're having baby", she continues. At this point I lose it - what is she talking about?

"Right", I said "erm who"? I venture ...

"What?" she says

"Who's having a baby" ? I continue.

"Dave, of course", she laughs, "who else?"

"Right," I smiled, " Of course, Dave", I laugh - pause - "who's Dave?" Now we're both looking really confused.

"Dave my son , you asked me how's Dave going?". The Penny drops.

"No, I said how's your day going." Peels of laughter ...

I'll keep Dave in my prayers.